Total views : 133
Role of Leadership in Building an Organizational Culture and Effectiveness
This research paper looks into how leadership skills have brought prosperity to many countries, including India over the years. In India, leadership skills in leading the country is popular, and has been honed by generations of Indians living in the country from ancient to modern days. In the earlier stage, leadership research focused in bringing out 'authority' in leaders, and look towards those who possess assertive voice and clear vision to lead the people. Now, the core value of organizations and organizational performance begins with the leaders and their different leadership styles discussed above. By analysing many leadership styles associated with the Indian leaders such as the great man behavioural, situational, contingency, transformational, transactional, and complexity leadership styles, the paper looks into how such leadership qualities have become a necessity in bringing development and performance changes in modern organizational work operations. The analysis brought out that these leadership styles remains as the main determinant of organizational success, since they offer good context in increasing commitment from workers towards organizational performance.
Historical Dynasties, Leadership, Skills, Leadership Styles, Organisational Leadership.
- Alexander, J. P. (2014). Decisive battles, strategic leaders. New Delhi: Partridge Publishing India.
- Anderson, J. (2013). Principle-Based Leadership: Driving Your Success as a Leader. Bloomington: iUniverse.
- Barker, A. M. (1992). Transformational nursing leadership: A vision for the future. New York: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Bass, B. M. (1990). From transactional to transformational leadership: Learning to share the vision. Organizational Dynamics, 18(3), 19–31. https://doi.org/10.1016/00902616(90)90061-S
- Bolden, R., Gosling, J., Marturano, A., & Dennison, P. (2003). A review of leadership theory and competency frameworks: Edited version of a report for chase consulting and the management standards centre. Centre for Leadership Studies, University of Exeter.
- Burns, J. (2007). Transforming Leadership. New York: Grove/Atlantic, Incorporated.
- Cherry, K. (2006). Leadership Styles. Retrieved from: http:// psychology.about.com/od/leadership/
- Daft, R. L. (2014). The Leadership Experience. Stamford: Cengage Learning. PMid:24453191 PMCid:PMC3966285
- Fiedler, F. E. (1964). A contingency model of leadership effectiveness. Advances in Experimental Social Psychology, 1, 149–190. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-2601(08)60051-9
- Fiedler, F. E., & Garcia, J. E. (1987). New approaches to effective leadership: cognitive resources and organizational performance. New York: Wiley.
- Jago, A. G. (1982). Leadership: Perspectives in theory and research. Journal of Management Science, 28(3), 315–332. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.28.3.315
- Kargas, A. D., & Varoutas, D. (2015). On the relation between organizational culture and leadership: An empirical analysis. Cogent Business & Management, 2(1), 1–18. https://doi.org/10.1080/23311975.2015.1055953
- Lusthaus, C., Adrien, M.-H., & Anderson, G. (1999). Enhancing organizational performance: A toolbox for self-assessment. Ottawa: IDRC.
- Lusthaus, C., Adrien, M.-H., Canada, I. D. R. C., & Anderson, G. (1999). Enhancing organizational performance: A toolbox for self-assessment. IDRC.
- Lynch, C. M. (2013). One Leadership Style Does Not Fit All. Virtual Mentor, 15(6), 544. PMid:23759165. https://doi.org/10.1001/virtualmentor.2013.15.6.oped1-1306
- McGregor, D. (1960). The human side of enterprise. McGraw-Hill.
- Mozaffari, F. A. (2008). A study of relationship between organizational culture and leadership. International Conference on Applied Economics – ICOAE.
- Murari, K. (2015). Impact of leadership styles on employee empowerment. New Delhi: Partridge Publishing India.
- Nikezi’c, S., Puri’c, S., & Puri’c, J. (2012). Transactional and transformational leadership: Development through changes. International Journal for Quality Research, 6(3), 285–296.
- Northouse, P. G. (2012). Leadership: Theory and practice. Los Angeles: SAGE Publications.
- Odumeru, J.A., & Ifeanyi, G. O. (2013). Transformational vs transactional leadership theories: Evidence in literature. International Review of Management and Business Research, 1(2), 355–361.
- Packard, T. (2009). Leadership and Performance in Human Services Organizations. Managing for Performance, 143–164.
- Pugh, M. L. (2012). Change Management in Information Services. Hampshire: Ashgate Publishing, Ltd.
- Rayiramkandath, R. (2011). Organizational leadership - a learning from the Indian history. Steward Business Review, 1(3), 73–75.
- Reddi, C. V. N. (2014). Effective Public Relations And Media Strategy. New Delhi: PHI Learning.
- Richards, J. F. (1996). The Mughal Empire. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Robb, D. (2000). Building resilient organisations. OD Practitioner, 32(3), 27–32.
- Savarkar, V. D., & Godbole, S. T. (1971). Six glorious epochs of Indian history. New Delhi: Bal Savarkar; associate publishers & sole distributors] Rajdhani Granthagar, New Delhi.
- Sharma, S. K., & Sharma, A. (2010). Examining the relationship between organisational culture and leadership styles. Journal of the Indian Academy of Applied Psychology, 36(1), 97–105.
- Singh, V. (2009). Interpreting medieval India: Early medieval, Delhi Sultanate, and regions (circa 750-1550). New Delhi: Macmillan Publishers, India.
- Stark, P. B. (2014). 6 Strategies to improve your leadership effectiveness.
- Stout-Rostron, S. (2014). Leadership Coaching for Results: Cutting-edge practices for coach and client. Randburg: Knowledge Resources Publishing.
- Szu-Fang, C. (2013). Essential skills for leadership effectiveness in diverse workplace development. Online Journal for Workforce Education and Development, 6(1).
- Tsai, Y. (2011). Relationship between organizational culture, leadership behavior and job satisfaction. BMC Health Services Research, 11(1), 98. PMid:21569537 PMCid:PMC3123547. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-11-98
- Vroom, V. H., & Yetton, P. W. (1973). Leadership and decisionmaking. Academy of Management Proceedings 00650668, 18(4), 14–38. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392210
- Zenger, J., & Folkman, J. (2013, February). How poor leaders become good leaders. Harvard Business Review.
- There are currently no refbacks.