Total views : 77
Review on Developing a Conceptual Framework for Technology Adoption Towards Sustainability in Agro Based Industry
Agribusiness involves the efficient transformation of agricultural raw materials into final products with proper adoption of technologies providing form utility to the products. Eventually with time agribusiness has become more industrialized, competitive and technological in nature. The main purpose of this paper is to study the adoption of technology for sustaining agro-based industries and identifying the constructs for the development of a conceptual framework. Through extensive literature search the authors first identified diverse constructs like market demand, awareness, cost, social media and others in relation to technology adoption for sustainability of agro-based industry. These constructs were further discussed in details to formulate the conceptual framework for technology adoption. Although limited to technology adoption in agribusiness sector but the originality of this study underpins framework for technology adoption in agribusiness thereby making it more sustainable.
Agro-Based Industry, Economy, Sustainability, Technology Adoption.
- Abdullah, F. A., & Samah, B. A. (2013). Factors impinging farmers’ use of agriculture technology. Asian Social Science, 9(3), 120. https://doi.org/10.5539/ass.v9n3p120
- Alia, D. Y., Nakelse, T., & Diagne, A. (2013). Rural media, agricultural technology adoption and productivity: evidences from small rice farmers in Burkina Faso. In 2013 AAAE Fourth International Conference, September 22-25, 2013, Hammamet, Tunisia (No. 160674). African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE).
- Alston, A. J., Miller, W. W., & Williams, D. L. (2003). The future role of instructional technology in agricultural education in North Carolina and Virginia. Journal of Agricultural Education, 44(2), 38–49. https://doi.org/10.5032/ jae.2003.02038
- Barnes, N. G., & Jacobsen, S. (2013). Adoption of social media by fast-growing companies: Innovation among the Inc. 500. Journal of Marketing Development and Competitiveness, 7(1), 11.
- Beckman, S., & Sinha, K. K. (2005).Conducting academic research with an industry focus: Production and operations management in the high tech industry. Production and Operations Management, 14(2), 115. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1937-5956.2005.tb00013.x
- Brent, A. C., Oelofse, S., & Godfrey, L. (2008). Advancing the concepts of industrial ecology in South African institutions: science policy. South African Journal of Science, 104(1 & 2), 9–12. https://doi.org/10.1590/s0038-23532008000100004
- Chicco, G., & Mancarella, P. (2009). Distributed multi-generation: a comprehensive view. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 13(3), 535–551. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2007.11.014
- De Oliveira Wilk, E., & Fensterseifer, J. E. (2003). Towards a national agribusiness system: A conceptual framework. International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, 6(2).
- Ernst, S., & Tucker, M. (2001). Perceptions and adoption of information technologies:Implications for Ohio’s produce industry in the new economy. The Ohio State University, Division of Agricultural, Environmental, and Development Economics, Working Paper Series, AEDE-WP-0016-01.
- FAO (1997). The State of Food and Agriculture 1997. FAO Agriculture Series No. 30, Rome.
- Frosch, R., Gallopoulos, N. (1989) Strategies for manufacturing. Scientific American, 261, 94-102. https://doi.org/10.1038/scientificamerican0989-144
- Giurco, D., Bossilkov, A., Patterson, J., & Kazaglis, A.(2011). Developing industrial water reuse synergies in Port Melbourne: cost effectiveness, barriers and opportunities. Journal of Cleaner Production, 19(8), 867-876. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2010.07.001
- Grossman, G. M., & Helpman, E. (1993). Endogenous innovation in the theory of growth (No. w4527). National Bureau of Economic Research. https://doi.org/10.3386/w4527
- Hussain, T. (2015). Influence of Facebook in Pakistani Pedagogy. Media Watch, 326. https://doi.org/10.15655/ mw/2015/v6i3/77895
- Jacobs, K. (2007), 2016: the future value chain. OECD Conference The Food economy: Global Issues and Challenges’, Den Haag Netherlands, 18-19 October 2007
- Kennedy, P. L., Harrison, R. W., Kalaitzandonakes, N. G., Peterson, H. C., & Rindfuss, R. P. (1997). Perspectives on evaluating competitiveness in agribusinessindustries. Agribusiness, 13(4), 385-392. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-6297(199707/08)13:4<385::AIDAGR4> 3.0.CO;2-V
- Kumari, S., & Patil, Y. (2016) Achieving Climate Smart Agriculture with a Sustainable Use of Water: A Conceptual Framework for Sustaining the Use of Water for Agriculture in the Era of Climate Change. In: Reconsidering the Impact of Climate Change on Global Water Supply, Use, and Management (Edn. Prakash Rao & Yogesh Patil), IGI Global Inc., USA, pp. 124-146. PMid:27819681
- Labrecque, J., Charlebois, S., & Spiers, E. (2007). Can genetically modified foods be considered as a dominant design? An actor-network theory investigation of gene technology in agribusiness. British Food Journal, 109(1), 81-98. https:// doi.org/10.1108/00070700710718525
- Lall, S. (2000). Technological change and industrialization in the Asian newly industrializing economies: achievements and challenges. Technology, learning, & innovation: Experiences of newly industrializing economies, 13-68.
- Lev, L. S., & Acker, D. G. (1994). Alternative approaches to technology development and adoption ln agriculture. Journal of International Agricultural and Extension Education, 1(1). https://doi.org/10.5191/jiaee.1994.01106
- Lonia, B. (2006). Studies in techno economic aspects of power generation from agriwaste in India, Ph.d Thesis, Thapar University Digital Repository
- Mathews, J. A. (2008). Energizing industrial development. Transnational Corporations, 17(3), 59–84.
- Newell, R. G., Jaffe, A. B., & Stavins, R. N. (1998). The in duced innovation hypothesis and energy-saving technological change (No. w6437). National Bureau of Economic Research. https://doi.org/10.3386/w6437
- Opara, L. (2004). Emerging technological innovation triad for smart agriculture in the 21st century. Part I. Prospects and impacts of nanotechnology in agriculture, CIGR Journal, VI
- OTA. 1986. Technology, public policy, and the changing structure of American agriculture. U. S. Congress Office of Technology Assessment, OTA-F285 (Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office). 374 pp.
- Schultz, T. W., 1964. Transforming Traditional Agriculture. Yale University Press, New Haven, CT SCM in the Agribusiness Sector. European Esprit PRODNET II project. American Journal of Agriculture Economics, 70 (1).
- Sealey, C. W., & Lindley, J. T. (1977). Inputs, outputs, and a theory of production and cost at depository financial institutions. The Journal of Finance, 32(4), 1251-1266. https:// doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1977.tb03324.x
- Sneha, K., & Yogesh, P. (2016). Trends of Seeds in the Era of Climate Change–an Issue of Concern towards Sustainability. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 9(21). https:// doi.org/10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i21/95094
- Sneha, K., Patil, Y., & Rao, P. (2016). An Approach to Sustainable Water Shed Management: Case Studies on Enhancing Sustainability with Challenges of Water in Western Maharashtra.
- Sneha, K., Pritesh, B., & Yogesh, P. (2016). Energy Management for a Sustainable Industry: Their Challenges and Scope. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 9(21). https://doi.org/10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i21/95097 31. Spinosa, L, Klen, A., Rabelo, R., Camarina-Matos, L. and Ferreira, A., (1999). Towards an open platform for Systems, Wageningen Academic Publishers, Wageningen, Section 10, p. 245–292.
- Vithayasrichareon, P., MacGill, I. F., & Nakawiro, T. (2012). Assessing the sustainability challenges for electricity industries in ASEAN newly industrialising countries. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 16(4), 2217–33. https:// doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2012.01.019
- Vorst, van der J. G. A. J., Beulens A. J. M., & van Beek P. (2005), Innovations in logistics and ICT in food supply chain networks, in: W.M.F. Jongen & M.T.G. Meulenberg (Eds.), Innovation in Agri-Food.
- Yasuda H (2005). Formation of strategic alliances in high-technology industries: comparative study of the resourcebased theory and the transaction-cost theory. Technovation, 25(7): 763-770. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation. 2004.01.008
- There are currently no refbacks.